1. Focus your mind and actions. Create a simple goal statement. Read it out loud at least twice a day. Focus your mind and your actions toward achieving that single goal as fast as possible. This step is vitally important... so don't skip it!
2. Build momentum with some early "wins". Go after early "wins" by setting small, achievable goals each day and recognizing when you achieve them. If you eat a healthy diet, avoid junk food, and do a short workout that's a "win" and you can draw a line through the day on your calendar. Now, see how long you can get that line...
3. Do a fat loss jump start. Do a 1, 2, or even 3 day juice diet/fast or raw diet. This helps to cleanse your system, boost your energy, "reset" your metabolism, and it even allows you to lose a couple of pounds quickly and easily.
Also, start developing a "morning exercise habit": first thing in the morning go out and do some form of refreshing exercise, even if it's just a 15 minute walk around the block. Do this 6 days a week. This is one of the true "secrets" to looking and feeling great fast!
4. Cut the junk. Avoid 99% of processed foods, especially anything containing refined/man-made sugars, flours, and fats. This step alone could easily allow you to lose 10 pounds of fat within just a couple of weeks.
5. Get back to your "diet roots". The best diet for losing pounds fast is a "paleo" diet based around lean meats, fish, eggs, vegetables, raw fruits, nuts, and seeds. Avoid starches (grain products, potatoes, rice, etc.) for at least the first week or two. Then begin to rotate healthy starches back into your diet. Try to eat a small, protein-rich meal or snack every 2-3 hours to keep your metabolism boosted and your hunger at bay.
6. Do short, interval-based workouts. 3-5 days a week do a short workout that involves bursts of high-intensity activity followed by periods of active recovery. Full-body strength training using whole-body exercises (pushups, pullups, squats, etc.) done in circuits is a great example. Another proven fat-burning exercise is HIIT: high-intensity interval training... a type of cardio that will burn the fat off your body very quickly.
7. Take the Big 3 supplements. The only diet supplements you really should consider taking are whey protein powder, omega 3 fats, and a good multivitamin. These will cover all your nutritional bases and help you recover faster between workouts. If you want, you could also take a fat-burner/energy booster supplement that contains natural caffeine, green tea extract, B vitamins, and/or yerba mate.
That's it: everything you need to lose 20-30 pounds fast. Now get to work and start burning that fat!