1. Write down a goal -- Spend half an hour to come up with and write down a specific short term goal. Losing 10 lbs is a realistic objective that can significantly improve the way you look and feel in a relatively short amount of time.
2. Cut out all sugars and starches -- Cut refined sugars and most starchy carbs out of your diet for the next 3 weeks. The only starches you should consume during this time are beans, legumes, and bananas. No breads/grains, rice, potato, etc. This is a smart way to cut calories and stabilize your blood sugar and insulin levels. After 3 weeks you can start rotating starches into your diet.
3. Eat a paleo-like diet -- Eat mainly natural, unprocessed "paleo" foods: lean meats, eggs, fish/shellfish, nuts, seeds, vegetables, raw fruits, and small amounts of healthy oils (virgin olive oil, coconut oil, etc.). Also eat plenty of beans and legumes to help keep hunger and food cravings under control This healthy fat loss diet will give you tons of energy and help you drop pounds very quickly.
4. Do smart exercise -- Do at least 20 minutes of smart exercise 6 days a week. Do both cardio and full-body strength training. Do at least 3 "tough" workouts that involve resistance training and/or high-intensity interval training (HIIT). The rest can be "light" workouts that can be as simple as half an hour of fast walking around the block.
5. Cover the basics -- Get plenty of sleep (at least 7 hours). Drink lots of water (at least 60 ounces a day). And avoid alcohol and drugs. These are simple but vitally important if you want to lose weight and get fit fast!